Monday, April 07, 2008

NYC!!!

Sorry for the ridiculous delay in posting about my big trip to the city...ever since I landed in CA it's been go, go, go. The trip was fantastic, though. I had papers in two sessions, one which I presented and the other was presented by the professor that I wrote the paper with. The latter was about affirmative action and college completion rates for different racial groups and it got a bunch of press which was exciting. The other is about the how the size of the black-white achievement gap changes depending on the students' parent's education (the gap is largest among kids of highly educated parents and smallest among kids whose parents did not complete highschool...we're still puzzled as to why, so all suggestions are welcome!!). Both presentations went really well and so the conference was a success. But what was really a success was spending 5 fabulous days in the city. My friend, Demetra, and I covered a lot of ground and really got a feel for the city. Here are some shots from our trip!!


This is what I call a skyline!!





I had no idea how freaking big the statue of liberty would seem when you're standing below her. Pictures don't do her justice!






The naked cowboy was a must see/grab. Here's D getting some lovin'.


More sightseeing with our friend Melanie.

We ran into Karl Lagerfeld (of Chanel, Chloe & Fendi). He was shooting an ad for Fendi in Times Square so I proceeded to stalk him. Here's an article about the shoot we witnessed. Apparently Karl isn't a fan of paparazzi though, so it's a good thing we made it out alive.




So our heater broke the night before my presentation at 8 am and we had the repair guy in at 12 and 2 am. After demanding our money back we were told that the best they could do was to put us in the top floor suite. It worked out just fine :)


Last, but by no means least, we were able to stroll through Macy's and see their annual flower show. It was absolutely ridiculous how many amazing flowers they had jam-packed into this store. Unfortunately the lighting wasn't great - so there are no amazing shots, but if you want to spend more of your time looking through flower shots (and a few more city shots), click here.

2 comments:

Jake and Liz said...

I've always wanted to go to NYC!! Some years down the line, I think we should all take a reunion girls trip there...wouldn't that be SO fun! Proud of you with your papers and presentations...you're a big girl now:) Glad you had fun on your big trip!

Liz said...

OOOOHHHH! I want to go to NYC too. Let do it!! I really want to go around Christmas and go ice skating in central park (or wherever it is, by the big ol tree) and look at window decorations!!! E, I cant believe you stalked that man. Ha! It totally would have been hilarious if you got arrested :) Anyway, looks like the trip was great. I bet you loved the flower show...