Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Calling all wisdom teeth extraction stories!!
So, apparently I'm old. I visited the oral surgeon this week for a consult about having my wisdom teeth removed. She explained to me that because I am "older", the risk of complications is higher. (She also kept reassuring me that I wasn't really "old", just relatively older for wisdom teeth removal, as if I have some complex about being old at 24.) So it's a 1% chance of having no feeling in my tongue for the rest of my life!! Oh my! So my question to you faithful blog readers is - have you had your wisdom teeth removed and were you willing to risk NEVER TASTING FOOD AGAIN?!?! This seems outrageous to risk but it is an extremely small chance.
I offer pretty pictures of fall in exchange for your thoughts :)
Thanks, friends!
e

4 comments:
In fact, I too had my wisdom teeth out at the ripe ole age of 24!
It was FINE. I was a Nervous Nellie about getting sedated (I am an ER nurse after all, I sedate people all the time!) but that part was fine. They did hurt afterwards, of course, but nothing drastic.
One piece of advice though - do NOT drink out of a straw, eat hot liquids, or do anything else they tell you not to do right afterwards - or you will get the blasted "dry sockets" that I got. They are from hell, I tell you. My mouth hurt more three days after the procedure than the day of thanks to getting dry sockets...had to go in and have my holes packed for 10 days afterwards until the gums healed over the nerve a little. UGH.
Other than that, you'll do great! Another opportunity for your boy to spoil you :)
Hey! You are soooo old, 24?? Whew! I got mine out when I was 22. So since I was WAY younger, my risk was much less...ha! The only reason I even did it then is b/c I was about to graduate and get married and get kicked off my dads insurance. The dentist said they were probably fine, but there was a chance I would have to get them out someday, so I opted for daddy to pay :) How funny that she told you that you were "old". That makes me laugh. I had no problems what so ever. I didnt even really need the pain meds. The most painful thing that happened afterwards is when I went to Chilis and the waitress hit me directly in the eyeball when passing me the large, metal edged, menu. Yeah, my eye was open and everything :) I think that I layed on the couch the day I got them out though, and enjoyed an excuse to just relax. I am sure you will be fine. Just rinse with saltwater, and rent some movies. Apparently right after I woke up I tried to pretend I was coherent and wasnt affected by the meds, and was talking total nonsense to Jon. Too bad I dont even remember :) Go get em tiger!
Ok...I was just a baby compared to your OLD age of 24. I think I was 19 when I had mine out. Seriously no biggie. Mine were in already, and I just had to have them pulled...do you have to have yours cut out?
I second Jess...don't drink from a straw or drink anything carbonated. You'll end up with a painful dry socket. I'm lucky and didn't get one but have known too many who have. Good luck!!
april
Oh...and these pictues are breathtaking!!!
april
Post a Comment